Spelling

Mark Twain once said something upon the lines of if you can only think of one way to spell a word you are very dull. I have recently seen a complate on someone's facebook for the lack of spelling currently used. Saying if you can get to high school you should be able to spell. Clearly I can't, I have worked my butt off to be able to spell as good as I can.  For me there are very few times spelling really matters.  I usually state when I do a presentation that I can't spell so don't expect it.

I spent hours upon hours learning to spell in a way I know very few people do, however still this lack of spelling is seen as a sign of lazyness and uneducatedness. I get tired of it in fact my biggest pet peeve is people who really care about spelling.

I think one of the reasons I don't get it is because I do not read how most people do. I don't read word for word so not understanding a word or how it is spelled for me effects nothing. However I have been told many people read one word after another after another and stop when they don't get a word.

I find it wierd that people get so pissed about the lack of this skill and equate it with so much of the persons character. I just don't get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

pity and inspiration

What is my reaction to cities opting out of the bus system?

Comments on writing and spelling