There seems like a lot of disability issues poping up lately

So yesterday was a bad disability day... I am in a new city and my bus to work doesn't run on saturdays so I walked... I live in texas so it is still really warm outside(driving me nuts a little but transit wise it is great). So I could take a couple options to make my walk just a mile versus and mile and half to 2 miles.... choices choices. To me the obvious answer is to walk. On the way there no big done that 3 times now no big. On the way back I got distracted and ended up walking about 2 miles out of my way. Then on the way back I almost got hit by a car. It was the drivers fault he was trying to turn left and go through 3 lanes of traffic into a street and didn't give himself time or see me. However it really scared me cause I couldn't of done one thing. I would of just been hit....

Other news, I had a debate with my disability peeps about the word empower. If empower is a bad word I think it is a good word if it is a giving back to your community word and bad if it is the oppressor using it on an oppressed community.

I also saw a decent disability movie... the person get "cured" in the end but there were a couple celebrating wheelchair scences which were cool. It is called Ondine and it is about a guy who finds a girl in his fishing net. The daughter of the fisherman goes from a manual to a power chair and shows her zooming around all over the place. It is an okay movie nothing huge but nothing bad either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

pity and inspiration

What is my reaction to cities opting out of the bus system?

Comments on writing and spelling