ASL in Fantasy

I just finished reading the The Sword of Shannara which is an okay book. It is very lord of the ringsy so not as origional as I would of hoped. However what did excite me about the book is the use of sign language in it. One of the trolls in the book loses his ability to speak and teaches himself sign language to communicate. It is a way that this troll is able to defeat part of the villian in the book. It was this random insert that made me go hummm maybe this isn't as much of a typical book as I thought. It also made me sorta want to read the other books to see if he incorpurates more disability stuff.  Anyways just a little ooo yay disability used in a good light or at least adaption used that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

pity and inspiration

Comments on writing and spelling

What is my reaction to cities opting out of the bus system?