Aimee Mullins and her 12 pairs of legs

Aimee Mullins is a former paralympian who became a model and I ran into the previous link on one of my disabiltiy lists. The second link tells more about her basic story. I love it because it talks about disability as an art form. Talking about prostetic legs as something that were art or are "better" in someway then regular legs.

I find it facinating for my love of looking at gender both feminity and muscalinity and it's performance in the disability community. I think it talks a lot about "overcoming" disability; but it also talks about a sence of aceptance and pride at the same time. I think it leads the question of if you don't like the term disability can you have disability pride? Sometimes I think you can.

I also find it insteresting from my feminist view on focusing so much on the astetic and beauty and making women seen more as objects. However at the same time I think it is emensly important for people to see people with disability as beautiful. I also think it is important for adaptive technology in general to be something more then just a tool because they are truely something that can be a part of your person why make them ugly? I also think the ability to look at adaption and changing your view of body and changing your movement as being something that is very powerful.

I love the line of "disiegning the body from a place of empowerment" I also think that it is interesting that she seems to be okay with the term disability and at the same time not seem to like the term.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

pity and inspiration

Comments on writing and spelling

What is my reaction to cities opting out of the bus system?