The 100 books project

So for the last 4 years my new years revolution is to read 100 books or 30,000 pages. Each year I get closer and closer to this goal but have not achieve it. The first year I tried I got a little under 50 this year I got closer to the page count with 24,444 pages. I count rereads but I have to read the full book. You may ask what does this have to do with dyslexia. I guess that for me there is something amazing about reading because it is something I am supposed to be bad at and I relish in the fact that I continue to read and read a ridiculous amount. Bellow you will find a list of books and my reviews of them.

1) Hey Paesan! edited by Giovanna Capone, Denice Nico Leto, and Tommi Mecca= 311pg This is a book about Italian Lesbians, it was very interesting and I enjoyed it a lot. I don't know if it would be as good if I wasn't Italian myself.

2)Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer 629pg So yes I am sorry to admit I read the Twighlight series this year. They were sorta adicting but at the same time I felt bad for reading them. I also didn't like the abusive undertones of the books. Specifically this one it seemed to be just a book as a filler between books.

3) Storm Front by Jim Butcher 322pg I liked this book okay it is the first in the dresden series books which are about a wizard who solves crimes. It was pretty good but it did not intice me to continue to read the series.

4) Sentipensante(sensing/thinking) Pedagogy by Laura I. Rendon 184pg This book talks about learning in different ways and how to work with diverse student populations. It was used in one of my grad school classes.

5) Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer 756pg This is very similar to the last twighlight book review. I felt guilty for wanting to read it but of all of the 4 this and the first one I thought were the most interesting of all of them.

6) Winning Sounds Like This by Wayne Coffey 239pg This is a book about the women's basketball team at Gaulledette University in DC. It is an interesting book about Deaf culture and college athletes. The only part that was kinda wierd was they did the book in anticipation that the team would be as good as they were the year before because most people came back from the year before. However they did not do as good.

7) Job One by Peter M. Magolda 237pg This is a book about your first year on the job in the student affairs world. It was okay.

8) The Magican's Nephew by C. S. Lewis 203pg All the C. S. Lewis books I have already read. I love them but there isn't much to say about them.
9) The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis 224pg
10) Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis 223pg
11) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis 248pg

12) Respect by Sarah Lightfoot 290pg This is a book about the way different people look at respect is a unique look about how relationships are good at creating a good form of respect.

13)The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis 243pg

14) FDR's Splendid Deception by Hugh Gregory Gallagher 242pg This is a book about how FDR experienced his disability. Trying to answer the question of did he hide his disability. I found it to be a very interesting book and really liked it. I also find it interesting that they took out all the accessible features of the white house. So that during FDR's time there it was actually more accessible just food for thought.

15) The Course of Human Events by David McCullough 30pg This was a short essay by David McCullough sort of interesting but nothing amazing.

16) The Story of the Claddagh Ring by Sean McMahon 77pg This is book was sort kind made you go humm but nothing spectacular.

17) Is Bill Cosby Right? by Michael Eric Dyson 288pg I found this book really easy to read and really interesting. I found myself really getting into this book.

18) Lesbian Subjects by Martha Vicinus 273pg This was a very boring book. I thought it would be good but it was very dry.

19) The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis 211pg See above about C.S. Lewis books.

20) Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough 445pg This was a book about the beginings of Teddy Roosevelt untill the point he got into politics. It was sorta interesting but I would of liked to have more about his presidency and not just his beingings. I didn't know that Roosevelt was an assmetic and how much it affected him growing up and helped to create his love of the outdoors.

21)Young Gifted and Black by Theresa Perry, Claude Steele, and Asa Hilliard III 183pg This book was okay. I read it earlier this year and don't remember much about it either way.

22) Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman 150pg This was a really cool book about a world created by women. It was a really good book and I enjoyed it a lot.

23) Truman by David McCullough 1117pg I really liked this book Truman was a very interesting character and I love David McCullough. I think this is my 2nd favorite to the Adams book.

24)Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg 402pg This is a very good book. I really enjoyed it and liked it a lot better then the movie by the same name.

25) The New Lesbian Studies edited by Bonnie Zimmerman and Toni A. H. McNaron 295pg This book was very interesting.

26) The Divine Secrets of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells 469pg I loved this book the relationships between the friends was very good.

27) Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult 418pg This was an interesting book I am just not really a fan of suspense.

28) A People's History of the United States 1492-present by Howard Zinn 729pg I wanted to like this book but I found myself being underwellmed most things in it I had already heard. I also found the opposite of history book presenting a grey presentation and found the book taking a definate agenda.

29) You can't be Neutral on a Moving Train by Howard Zinnn 214pg The autobiography is good. It was really interesting I wish I would of known this before reading the first book I wish it would of let me know more about Zinn but I don't know if I would of liked the other book better.

30) Sicily: Three Thousand Years of Human History by Sandra Benjamin 498pg This is a very wide lense of history. I found it interesting but it was very dry.

31) The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd 302pg I loved this book. I couldn't stop reading the book. I loved it.

32) Women's Culture in a New Era: A Feminist Revolution? by Gayle Kimball 239pg This was okay it had a way of looking at feminist in a way of new revolutions.

33) The WASP Mystique by Richard Robertielo and Diana Hoguet 208pg I thought this could be interesting.

34) Grassroots by Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards 308pg I thought this was a very helpful and interesting book.

35) The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares 373pg These books just make me smile I love books about friendship.

36) Harry Potter and the Sorcer's Stone by J. K. Rowling 308pg So the Harry Potter books are just another reread. I love them.
37) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling 652pg
38)Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by J. K. Rowling 750pg

39) The Soloist by Steve Lopez 289pg This book is a book about about a musician with mental illness. It was a pretty good book but it left me wanting.

40) Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind 820pg All the Terry Goodkind books were good. I really enjoyed them and they are a good fantasy book series and the author is dyslexic.
41) Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind 979pg
42) Blood of the Fold by Terry Goodkind 623pg
43) Temple of the Winds by Terry Goodkind 822pg
44) Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind 788pg
45) Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind 785pg
46) Kaaterskill Falls by Allegra Goodman 320pg
47) The Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind 725pg
48) Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind 739pg
49) Chainfire by Terry Goodkind 756pg
50) Phantom by Terry Goodkind 670pg
51) Confessor by Terry Goodkind 603pg

52) Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin 916pg This is a book about Lincoln's cabinet. I thought the book was pretty good a little slow though.

53) Olive Kitterdige by Elizabeth Strout 286pg I really disliked this book. I don't know i just really couldn't get into this book.

54) Playing for Pizza by John Grisham 308pg I really enjoyed this book it is about Italian American football. This book just really made me smile a lot.

55) Inkheart by Cornelia Funke 534pg=24,444pg This reminded me of a girl version of Harry Potter.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

pity and inspiration

What is my reaction to cities opting out of the bus system?

Comments on writing and spelling