What did it mean...

I quickly learned more of what it meant, this diagnosis. One of the things, I think that is so paramount to the world of an LD person is that every process, any point, any task or work, has a multiple of parts. That no task is just a task, reading is not just reading; It is looking at words, understanding the meaning of the words, being able to pronounce them, recognizing the words, and comprehending them.. to name a few. All of those parts have different meaning for a dyslexic, we maybe able to understand a paragraph and have no clue how to decifer individual meanings or words or how to pronouce them. To look at these as one whole is a failing of many that try to understand us.

The diagnosis was an auditory, kenetic, and visual dyslexia. The auditory part means I hear things differently I flip words and parts of words around in my ears as well as my eyes. Hearing something and understanding the proper pronunciation may take longer.

The kenetic part means I have a very hard time with directions. As my friend says "You can take Val to a beach every year of her life to camp and she will still have no recolection on how to get around. I can't tell my left from my right. I have a hard time with spacial realities understanding how things fit together. I also had a very hard time learning how to write. Things such as correctly holding a pencil, being able to be able to be understood in the written word was and still is a hard thing.

The visual part has to do with fliping letters around. My hardest part is flipping vouls around consenets. My best friend since I was aroud 10 is names Josie and I can never rememeber if it is Joise or Josie. It is always a question, however her full name of Josephine, I have never had a problem with. One of the more interesting visuals is the fact that different colors, primarly a very bright or shinny background of the paper can make letters bounce or jump or spin on a paper. So much so that if i am trying to read the paper or power point I can become dizzy for hours.

So those are the things it meant, my issues as you were. My Mom was sadden greatly by the diagnosis frightened I would never be able to read for pleasure or read period. I was greatly excited by it. Untill I told a friend on the playground excitedly I am dyslexic I am dyslexic.... she thought it was a contageous diesease and ran away. That was the day I thought maybe this isn't so good. It was the first negative thing I heard and I quickly learned that this dyslexic thing might be something that should remain hidden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

pity and inspiration

What is my reaction to cities opting out of the bus system?

Comments on writing and spelling