Welcome and let's start at the very begining....

I have been looking around the web and I have been finding that most the blogs I find about people with Learning Disabilities are by parents or doctors. I am not a parent or a doctor, I am someone with LD and I also don't think the being LD is this horrible negative thing. It is who I am for as long as I can remember. The few memories I have of before I was diagnosised are primarly negative because I thought I was stupid. The diagnosises was prof I was smart and as down as I get knowing that being LD means you have a deficet between what you are capable and your product. The what you are capable meant I was always smarter than I felt. That is a pretty good feeling cause you are always smarter you just need to find ways to show that.

I am not a fan of no diagnosis, of calling people differently abled, learning difference, DisAbility, and any other termonology along those lines. When I talk about my disability I talk in terms of LD, Dyslexia, disability, and ADHD. I find it is important for people to see me as someone with a disability. Any fight I have is the fact that disabilities on the whole are stigmatized, a disability isn't a death sentence.

I also say this from experience for the first part of my life I was told I learned differently I didn't have a disability. Until high school I thought that meant that no one could understand me that this difference was something only I had that no one could understand my head. Disability is uniting it is part of a movement in this country for access. It meant I was no alone. I know people think disability doesn't include all people with disabilities can do. I however think that all the other words do not look at the whole picture either so why change wording.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

pity and inspiration

Comments on writing and spelling

What is my reaction to cities opting out of the bus system?